Friday, May 22, 2009

The Scent of a Woman

My daughter said to me the other day, after she hugged me -- I smelled good. She also said, that my scent was only unique to me. Like Nana (my mother) has her own smell.  My daughter hugs quite a bit. She likes to be hugged and held. We do it quite a bit - on good days, and on bad days.

For her, what we smell like -- gives her memories of whatever special moments she draws on from our time together while growing up. 

"For the sense of smell, almost more than any other, has the power to recall memories, and it's a pity that we use it so little." (quote by Rachel Carson)

Now, was she referring to perfume?  I think not. I wasn't wearing any the other day. My daughter is convinced that everyone has their own unique body odor and it is recognized between child and parent.  As much as she is growing up and soon will be attending college in a different state, lately she's been reaching out and hugging us more often. She's also been waxing nostalgia -- often triggered by her sense of smell, touch, sounds, and sight. 

Scents do trigger memories-- mostly good. In my case, my husband, I think smells great all the time. I love his aftershave -- it is so clean and crisp. Nothing peppery or floral.  My mother (Nana) always smells like freshly cleaned laundry.  I love walking into a coffee shop because I love the smell of freshly ground coffee. What does it mean for me -- my many quiet interludes have been while enjoying a good cup of coffee.  Often it is when I am sitting out on a deck by the lake from that special place I usually journey to in the summer time. 

I love baking bread and how it makes my house smell. I can remember my great grandmother who baked quite a bit while I was a little child - I loved the smell of cooking. It meant to me that everything was alright despite how terrible the world was while growing up. 

So, when my daughter hugs me, she is drawing up strength from memories she has of me and of us together. I pray that she can carry that with her while she is going so far away in college.  I know it is going to require her to draw a lot from within her to make it on her own.  May the Good Lord God be with her and cover her with peace.  Today, I pray that everyone will hug with their loved ones  -- just a little bit longer today.  Draw up some memories. 
May peace be with you. 

No comments: